Tuesday, May 17, 2011

The Quilting Learning Curve

Recently I began working on my Grandma's quilt and quickly realized that I needed more skills. It wasn't quite as simple as I thought it would be to create straight and square blocks. I imagined that other things would be more difficult. But I also realized that I was making it up as I went along with less than ideal fabric ect..ect..

And Then....

A few weeks ago I found out that a quilting shop had moved in within walking disatance of our place. I wandered over and while meadnering around dreaming of quilts to be made I discovered that they were going to be holding a 6 week begining quilters class. YAY!  So I showed up the day of the class and found I had 15 mins to pick out 6 fabrics and start the class. I picked some lovely Batik fabrics but was unsure how it would all turn out. I'll post pics later but suffice to say they all go great and I named the quilt "An Evening in an Island Paradise" that's because it makes me feel like I'm enjoying an evening on a tropical island next to a lagoon.

I have learned so many new skills, tricks and helpful facts about fabric, cutting and sewing that I'm thinking  I may have to do the unthinkable and redo the work on Gram's quilt. Even though that would be a huge chore, I believe it would be worth it.

I also was messing around with the molas (side note - I'm finding that I am juggling several quilts at once, is that normal?) and I know what I want but I still have to learn how to do it. Now that I have my quilt shop (Is that like having a bar or pub?- I'll think of it as my Yacht Club ) I have people I can ask. I think that it will have to wait a bit down the line because what I want to do seems to exceed my current skills.

And That brings me to....

Skills. I am finding that I have a very artistic and creative soul and I keep coming up with quilts I want to make that far exceed my current skill level. At last count  the current # on the back burner is 9.  And this doesn't count the quilts that I have seen that I think I would like to be able to make someday, Just for fun or art's sake.

So I am going to class and dreaming about quilt designs and working hard on my technique so I can make these quilts that are in my head. This is soooo much fun!

One Last thing...

There is one quilt. It's a special quilt. I read about this type of quilt in a book series (the ladies in the stories had a quilting club - not the main thrust of the books) and then in class the other day another woman mentioned she had a friend having one made. It's a wedding dress quilt. The idea is that you make a quilt out of your wedding dress. This touched my heart. While my dress is not tainted by Fashion Fads It does not seem to be a style that would work for any of the girls in my family. And the thought of having a quilt made up of special memories that I can wrap myself up in after my sweetheart has gone to eternity gives me comfort. So stay tuned for that quilt

No comments:

Post a Comment